10.15.2013

Raised Yeasted Waffles

.  Okay.  I've literally been trying to compose this post all of this last weekend and for the life of me...I can't.


I think it's what they call a 'writer's block'?  Albeit, I'm not a real writer.  But you get what I mean. My mind just seems to be a bit clouded at the moment so you'll have to work with me.

So rather than string together some cheesy link to the reason I'm sharing the best-ever waffles since Egg-o's, I'll just get right into the recipe.


My homemade waffle obsession all started with my purchase of the most wondrous contraption: the William Sonoma All-Clad Belgian Waffle Maker.  And no, this is not an ad.  I just love this thing so dang much that I want you all to know about it!  It's a bit of a splurge but most definitely an investment piece, one that you'll be using for the rest of your life to make waffley goodies for your loved ones.

Unfortunately, since I've never owned a waffle maker before this beaut, I didn't have many waffle recipes lying around the house [or of course, pinned].  But lucky for everyone at the breakfast table, the Williams Sonoma package also included an array of their very own waffle recipes.  And true to myself, I had to try out the yeasted waffles because well, what the haay are yeasted waffles?!


My first question [after that one] was what is the difference between yeasted waffles and plain ol' regular waffles?  And the only comparison I can think of [that writers block is really getting to me] is the difference between cake donuts and fried/yeast donuts.

So you see, cake donuts are typically much more dense in texture.  We'll compare those to a regular waffle batter.  On the flip side, raised/yeasted donuts [or doughnuts...toe-mato, ta-motto] tend to be much more lighty and fluffy.  Think...Krispy Kreme.


Now, I am by no means comparing this yeasted waffle recipe to Krispy Kreme [that would be mighty amazing though].  The point I'm trying to get across is that these yeasted waffles are lighter, fluffier, and tastier than your regular ol' batter.

And for those of you with rushed, chaotic mornings or needing last minute breakfast/brunch ideas for incoming visitors, this recipe is for you!  Here's why: the batter rests overnight, so you can easily whip together the ingredients the night before you need the waffles, wake up in the morning, and all you must do is put the batter in the pan.  Easy peasy, winner winner!


And one last rave about these waffles?  You can pair them with anything and everything you please!  Try fresh fruit, whipped cream, syrup, cinnamon and sugar, or if you really want to go all out you can drizzle on some chocolate or caramel sauce.  Nummyyyy!

So now that we are officially in the heart of Fall, what better way to start a morning than with a warm, comforting meal of waffles?  I can't think of anything better.

Happy baking [or waffle making]!  .


My Notes:
  • IMPORTANT TIP!  In order to keep your waffles as fresh as possible (i.e., not getting soggy), heat your oven to 200°F and place a baking sheet in the oven.  Once the waffles are done, place them on the pan and let sit in the oven until ready to serve.  This will keep your waffles crisp and warm.  Great tip, huh?!

From Williams Sonoma

Ingredients:
1 package (2-1/2 tsp.) active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. milk
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 c. all purpose flour
2tbsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Fresh fruit, whipped cream, syrup, etc. (optional, for toppings)

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let stand until foamy (about 5 minutes). 
  2. In a saucepan over low heat, combine milk and butter and heat to lukewarm.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, and salt.  
  4. Stir in milk mixture to yeast mixture.  Add the dry ingredients and stir until blended.  Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.  
  5. When ready to use the next morning/day, heat waffle maker according to directions.  Stir the egg and baking soda into the chilled batter until combined.  
  6. Use batter with waffle maker according to directions.  Serve immediately.
Yield: 1 dozen waffles

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: