8.09.2013

Strawberry Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting

.  The day has finally come.


The day where I actually have a recipe for you all!  And lucky for you, it's a good one.  One that I've had for quite some time but for whatever reason hasn't made it's debut on LSM.  Shame on me...

But like most things these days, summer has absolutely slipped by me.  Can you ba-lieve it's August already?  Good grief.  So with that realization, I knew I had to get my butt in gear and whip up some posts of a couple of summer treats I've made [yes, I've actually baked lately!].  And since it's been far too long since a recipe has popped up, let's jump right into this cupcake.


I first made these summery cupcakes a long time ago [probably about a year ago, but who's keeping track?] for a work fundraiser alongside the Nutella Cloud Cupcakes.  And surprisingly, these cupcakes were a smash.

I say 'surprisingly' because I honestly didn't know how the Mascarpone Frosting was going to bode.  If you've never had Mascarpone before [and at that time I hadn't], it's comparable to cream cheese but with a sweeter taste.  And the whole flavor difference is what caught me by surprise, so I wasn't sure many other people would care for it.  But I was dead. wrong.


So what's to love about them, you ask?  Let's start with that cake.  The base is a moist, buttery vanilla cupcake, studded with chunks of sweet, fresh strawberry pieces.  Rounding out this baked  goodie is the aforementioned Mascarpone Frosting.  You know that combination of things like Carrot Cake or Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting?  Two things that just go together?  Well that's the only way I can describe this pairing of strawberries and mascarpone [frosting].  They're simply meant to be and combined together into one mouthwatering cupcake?  Priceless.

And so with this all in mind, I chose to whip up a batch of these cupcakes as the official introduction of my baking problem to our dog walker and the front desk employees in our new building.  And without going into too many details, they couldn't stop talking about them.  Even a week later, one of the front desk men mentioned them to me.  I'll leave it at that!


So enough of my babbling.  I'm heading to Omaha this evening to co-host Hollyann's wedding shower, so I have some packing to finish up!  And while I do that, I trust you'll do your part by making a lovely, summery batch of Strawberry Cupcakes.  

Happy baking!  Happy weekend!  .

My Notes:
  • Be sure to completely cool the cupcakes before frosting, otherwise the frosting will melt and drip right off.


Ingredients:
Strawberry Cupcake:
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into chunks
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. strawberries, washed, hulled, and chopped

Mascarpone Frosting:
4-1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 oz. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
3/4 c. powdered sugar
12 whole strawberries (for decorating, optional)

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 325°F.  Line a standard cupcake pan with liners; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Mix on low to aerate the mixture.  Add butter and turn mixer on low briefly, just until the butter pieces are coated with flour.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla extract.  Add egg mixture in three additions to the dry ingredients, mixing on low just until it comes together after each addition,  Gently fold in strawberries with a spatula or wooden spoon.
  4. Divide mixture evenly between cupcake liners.  Bake 15-17 minutes or until cupcakes are firm when lightly touched on top. Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
  5. For frosting, beat butter in a large bowl on high speed until butter is light and fluffy.  Add mascarpone cheese and beat on medium speed just until blended.  Sift the powdered sugar over the butter and mascarpone mixture and beat on medium speed just until smooth (do not overwork this frosting because the mascarpone can separate).   Refrigerate frosting at least 30 minutes before using.
  6. When cupcakes are completely cooled, frost as desired.  Top each cupcake with one whole strawberry, if using.  
Yield: 1 dozen cupcakes

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hello, nice to meet you. Your blog is beautiful! We are BeBetsy, and would love to invite you to our page. Please stop by and visit us at http://bebetsy.com/

    ~~Thanks, Sharon & Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are gorgeous cupcakes! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: